The neighborhoods known today as East and West Mount Airy began as part of the German Township which developed along Germantown Ave. The first homes were built along the Avenue. Developments including Pelham on the West side and Gowen Estates and Sedgwick Farms on the East side were built at the turn of the 20th century around the railroad stations. The automobile inspired developers to build homes along Lincoln Drive, west into the Wissahickon Park, and into East Mount Airy between the Lutheran Seminary and Stenton Ave.
A shopping area in West Mount Airy centered around the corner of Greene St and Carpenter Ln is the site of the original Weaver’s Way food coop, High Point cafe where the desserts are irresistible, the independently owned Blue Marble Book Store, and Motion Studio.
A Mount Airy business Renaissance is underway along Germantown Ave assisted by the Mount Airy USA Avenue Improvement Project. The upgraded Avenue with new lighting, newly planted street trees, facade improvements is attracting restaurants and shopping.
Mount Airy is known nationwide for the efforts of residents in the 1950′s who formed the East Mount Airy and the West Mount Airy neighborhood associations to promote community and racial harmony. Fifty plus years later Mount Airy is a stable and flourishing community.